We are such a romantic bunch here at the funny farm, that The Husband and I spent our anniversary replacing the floor tiles in the upstairs bathroom. It was a rather blustery day (bonus points if you can name that cartoon!), and The Husband was reluctant to spend it doing dirt work, so I suggested that perhaps it was about time to do something with the floor tiles that we bought six months ago.
What the pictures don’t show very well is the curling edges of the tiles around the toilet. We thought this was due to a couple of flooding incidents courtesy of the children. We discovered after installing the new floor, that it was mainly due to a leak between the tank and bowl. Fortunately, the new flooring was not damaged before we caught the problem.
While The Husband ran around gathering up the tools (it’s been about 5 years since we did any tiling), I decided to see how hard it was going to be to remove the old vinyl tiles. As luck would have it, those things practically jumped off the floor, and I was done in about 15 minutes. Then The Husband removed the toilet and I vacuumed the floor.
After peeling tile, before vacuuming.
The Husband mixed up the mortar in a 5-gallon bucket, and then I got to work laying down tile. The only challenging part of this process is negotiating with our cheapo tile-cutter. I left that part to The Husband and just set them into place as they were cut.
You’ll note that the first course doesn’t line up with the rest of the tiles. This was because the cheapo tile-cutter can’t handle a narrow cut without breaking the narrow piece in half. I’m getting really good at ignoring little things like that.
The next day, The Husband mixed up the grout so I could finish the job. I loathe grouting floors. Since a bathroom is a small space, I didn’t have to spend too much time loathing.
After the grout set to a haze, I gently smoothed it and wiped away the excess with a damp sponge. Two days later, I scrubbed down the floor with grout haze remover, allowed it to dry, and sealed the grout. Once the grout was sealed, I put down a couple of layers of floor polish and then began to gently nudge The Husband about replacing the floor trim.
I don’t think I’ve mentioned how much I hate the trim that came with our house. It is real wood, with a plastic-y fake wood veneer on top. It’s supposed to look like oak, but I’ve never seen oak that looked like this stuff. It’s ugly, it’s narrow, and even Killz and Zinsser primers don’t stick to it. We’ve already replaced it in the girls room (that’s where I learned that painting it is not an option) and little by little we’ll replace it throughout the house.
We did buy replacement floor trim shortly after the floor was installed (in early November). And finally, this past Sunday, The Husband found time to cut and install it.
I still need to caulk along the floor trim, but the floor itself is done and I love it!