When we got married, The Husband had a couple of…unique dressers. As in, dated, dark, formerly part of a set that included a 1980’s era waterbed with bookshelf/headboard. At the earliest opportunity, the dressers were relegated to closets. First they held socks & underwear, then baby clothes, and finally a few changes of clothes at our crappy trailer house in town.
My girls had reached a point where they needed a dresser for their clothes that don’t belong in the closet. I decided to get out the paint bucket, and turn one of those dressers into something that I could stand to look at. Free, or nearly free is always good in my book. My plan was to just paint it white and call it a day.
Then I saw a beautiful Grandmother’s Flower Garden quilt on a blog that I’ve recently started reading. The quilt was just the sort of thing that I love. Pink, roses, vintage, and I love the GFG design (though not enough to actually want to sew all those little hexagons myself).
I remembered that I had some pretty vintage wrapping paper from a past thrifting expedition, and I decided that a plain white dresser just wouldn’t do. I went ahead and painted the body of the dresser white, but only primed the drawers. Then I cut the sheets of wrapping paper to fit over the drawers, leaving a generous amount of overhang on all sided. By now it should come as no surprise that I didn’t take any “before” or “during” pics. Just imagine a very dark beat-up, primitive pine dresser.
I got out my can of spray adhesive, and sprayed both the drawer face and the back side of a sheet of wrapping paper. Then I lined up the top edge of the paper with the top/back edge of the drawer face, gently pressed it down, then slowly and carefully rolled the sheet of paper along the drawer front until it was covered. I let the drawers sit undisturbed for a couple of hours, then trimmed the corners (not very neatly, I might add).
I used up about 1/3 of my bottle of Mod Podge for the next step (which means that there was hardly any left after all of the other projects I’ve used it for. Hooray for an excuse to go to the craft store!). I got out a foam brush and brushed the Mod Podge all over the wrapping paper. I was a bit distressed when it started wrinkling, but decided that there really wasn’t a thing I could do about it. Therefor, I hereby declare that I did it that way on purpose, so that the drawer fronts would resemble a well-loved heirloom quilt.
I had originally planned to spray paint the brassy drawer pulls glossy white, but then I remembered that I had a whole can of berry pink that never got used for its intended project.
I am delighted with the end result. Notsomuch with the child who smeared white paint on the wall behind the dresser however.
At some point, I may collect pictures of roses from magazines and decoupage the top and sides, but not any time soon.